[Dixielandjazz] Re: Imitators

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 4 10:21:42 PDT 2004

Steve and DJML--
     I guess we all see things different ways, and enjoy different
things (duh! iterating the obvious is one of my hobbies).
     There's a difference between 'imitating' (trying to sound like
someone) and "playing in the style of" (like New Orleans style,
Condon style, etc.).  A number of current bands like to play Condon
style or West Coast style, but they're not trying to sound exactly
like Eddie Condon's or Turk Murphy's bands, they're trying to play in
that style in their own individual way.  Nothing wrong with that, as
far as i can see.
     In fact, there's nothing wrong with imitating someone.  If we're
paid to entertain, why not imitate Elvis (ugh for me personally) or
Louis (one chorus or song max for me) if doing so entertains the
audience?  Bands that play in the style of popular dance-bands of the
1920's or 1930's have good or excellent musicians, play some nice
songs, and entertain their audiences repeatedly, so that's OK in my
book.  There are all kinds of audiences who like that, but our bands
don't have to play like that if we don't like that style.  To each
his own.

     Dan

(who also likes artists like Enya, Flogging Molly, Bruckner, Mexican
bandas, Romanian brass-band music, Gabrieli canzonas, Josquin, The
Limeliters, Beatles, Stones, Gyorgy Legeti, Stan Kenton, Don Ellis,
Spike Jones, Thelonius Monk, Bobby Short, Bill Watrous, et
unabashedly cetera)

--
**  Dan Augustine    Austin, Texas   ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu     **
**     "Familiar things happen, and mankind does not bother about     **