[Dixielandjazz] Armstrong Imataters

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Aug 3 01:41:01 PDT 2004

AS my friends & fellow musicians will attest, no one hates the Louis
Armstrong imitators any more than I do.  However, there is a time & place
for everything.

When playing any kind of a Jazz gig, I abhor anyone doing this.

However, there is money to be made in non-jazz gigs.  These are jobs that
you get because someone wants, what they think is a Dixieland (Roaring 20s
or Gay 90s) band, for a picnic, supermarket opening, or whatever.  In these
cases, no one wants to hear all 5 strains (or is it 6) of "Panama", or cares
if you play the authentic changes on "St. Phillips Street Breakdown".

On these kind of gigs, it is "Bill Baily", "Hello Dolly", "Wonderful World",
"California Here I Come", "Yes sir, That's My Baby," etc.  And, if you growl
a little on the end of "WWW" they love it.

This point was brought home to me again on Saturday when I worked a gig with
a longtime musician from Reno.  It was for a party to draw numbers for a
lottery to see who gets first crack at new houses being built in the Sierras
near Donner Lake.

This leader books lots of private parties.  He knows what the people respond
to & because of this, gets repeat business.

Now, don't get me wrong, I would never play this stuff at a Jazz concert or
festival, but for money, (& good money at that), I'll become a musical whore
any day.

Bob
robert at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA, USA, Earth, Sol's System, Milky Way
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
Fulton Street Jazz Band
See: http://www.ringwald.com
Boondockers Jazz & Comedy Band