[Dixielandjazz] Re: Sugar Blues

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Aug 1 20:55:22 PDT 2004

Dear Glen,
When I first read your reference to the Wooden Joe Nicholas "Sugar Blues"
(21 July 1947) I wondered why you had involved this version with the Clyde
McCoy thread.
Then I played the Wooden Joe rendition.
Although in no way a copy of the McCoy hit/theme, it does suggest the Mr
Nicholas had heard the earlier McCoy versions.
Which he probably would have, given their national popularity.
While on the subject of those great 1945 Wooden Joe American Musics, when we
first heard the 78s back in the 50s we fantasised that he was Buddy Bolden,
reincarnated musically.
Very kind regards,
Bill.