[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jazz Jubilee Update

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Apr 27 23:58:46 PDT 2004

Regarding the budget cuts in the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee this year, Tom
Wigins writes:

(Snip)

> No doubt another executive decision by management that might possibly
> backfire, You can, not pay a musician, or cut his pay, but you mess with
his access
> to a reasonable amount of free alcohol and you immediately get bad
attitudes,
> shitty music and a lot more drunk musos slugging from the flasks in the
> instrument cases.
>
> I will also wager that the local liquor stores and bars and grocery stores
> will see a substantial increase in alcoholic beverage sales as the
musicians
> protest and boycott the festival concession stands.
>
> The idea that you can cut the budget by once again cutting back on the
very
> people that are the backbone and lifeblood of the damned event already
working
> for cheap wages shows why so many festivals are indeed in trouble.  People
who
> are paying to come and hear the music and see the musicians are not paying
> for the brilliant decisions of the management of the events folks.  It is
too
> bad that the realms of OKOM music have let themselves self destruct for so
many
> years in this manner by killing and eating the Golden Goose that brings in
all
> the Gold.
>

> When miss management cause the stuff to hit the Fan it is always the
Musician
> they call upon to perform for low or no pay to help bail their butts out
of
> the mess they created and the musicians always roll over and do it with
the
> belief that they will bail them out this year and they will all get more
money
> next year.  Yeah Right in your dreams.

(Snip)

I am afraid Mr. Wiggins has analyzed the situation and come up with the
wrong conclusions.

While the drink/food tickets are not being supplied to the musicians this
year, their set pay has not been cut.

There has been many more budget cuts made than what affects the musicians.
I have personally been involved with this now for a year & a half.  A lot of
people have spent a lot of time making sure that we will have a successful
Jubilee this year & will be able to continue on for many years to come.

Contrary to what Mr. Wiggins says, the musicians that are hired to play the
Sacramento Jazz Jubilee are professionals.  They will conduct themselves as
such.

As in any employer/employee business relationship, the employee will fulfill
his contract & the employer will pay.

As usual, a great time will be had by all, musicians and festival goers
alike.

Tom can sit back & forecast doom all he wants, but there will be a giant
party in Sacramento over Memorial Day weekend.

See you all Fri AM at the DJML F2F.

--Bob
robert at ringwald.com
Member, Board of Directors, Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society