[Dixielandjazz] sun protection (was: Madison)

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Wed Apr 21 08:33:29 PDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:46:22 -0700 Don Kirkman <donkirk at covad.net>
writes:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:14:14 +0000, Bill Gunter wrote:
>
> >The name, "Parasol" implies SUN (sol = sun).
>
> >If it was for the rain it would prolly say "umbrella or
> bumber-shoot" or
> >something.
>
> >Respectfully submitted,
>
> Surely Brother Gunter is putting us on; his erudition is widely
> known in
> the land of DJML, and thus I am fully convinced that he knows an
> "umbrella" is in truth a "small shade,"  which implies that it is
> also
> to be used on sunny days.  When else would one let a smile be
> his/her/its umbrella?  I will defer to anybody else who may want to
> take
> on "bumbershoot."
> --
> Don
> donkirk at covad.net

The "bumber" part is an alteration of the "umbr" in umbrella, and the
"shoot" is an alteration of the "chute" as in parachute, whose "para,"
btw, is the same as in parasol. Apparently there's no word for
"rain-shield."

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Web master for
http://www.timesunion.com/communities/jazz