[Dixielandjazz] Re: Discography and musicology; stemmatics

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 19 23:46:29 PDT 2004

DJML and select others--
     I am alternately pleased and offended that someone used a word
i've never heard of ('stemmatics').
     Of course, i googled (small 'g' now) it and found the following
(among others):

       "stemma
            Stem. A diagram presenting the phylogeny of a manuscript
            tradition in visual form. Unlike a strict cladogram, a
            stemma may exhibit ancestors and reticulation (mixture
            between lineages).
        stemmatics
            T.C. A method of textual criticism based on preparing a
            family tree of manuscripts ( stemma ) and evaluating
            variant readings based on the stemma.  Traditional
            stemmatics has four steps: recension, selection,
            examination, and emendation.  Phylogenetic stemmatics
            uses cladistics to produce the stemma in the recension
            step, and the remaining steps are based on traditional
            principles.
        cladistics
            Clad. A method of grouping taxa based on shared,
            derived characteristics (or homology)."
                -- http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/tc/glossary.htm

     I think i now know less than i did before i read that.  That's
the trouble with knowledge and ignorance.  More knowledge many times
results in exponentially greater ignorance.  I don't think i can
afford to learn anything new now.

     Dan

("Learning, n. The kind of ignorance distinguishing the studious."
         -- Ambrose Bierce in _The Devil's Dictionary_)
(Weren't we talking about jazz a minute ago?  How the hell did we get here?)