[Dixielandjazz] New Thread: Humiliation of musicians and writers

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Thu Apr 15 11:01:26 PDT 2004

I posted the article from yesterday's New York Times about the book
"Mortification: Writers' stories of their Public Shame" to a private list.
See clip below.  Pensacola friend and jazz pianist Bobby Van Deusen
responded by sending in his anecdote about persons requesting a certain
tune...  I thought it might be interesting to post these and see how many
are willing to share similar experiences.  Should be a hoot!

If any of you wish to see the full article, send me a note privately and
I'll send it to you. ( Or, you can look it up on the NYTimes.com website.)
I don't want to clutter the DJML with things which are not truly germane to
the subject.  Besides, as someone has already so aptly pointed out, poor Mr.
Wonderful, Bob Ringwald has to LISTEN to all that crap!

Norman Vickers
JazzDoc

From:  Pensacola Pianist Bobby Van Deusen, in response to the clip below....
"I think the musical equivalents of these awful incidences would be the MANY
times during my career some patron has approached me and requested a tune
that I was playing at the time."
April 14, 2004
You're Published. Now the Fun Begins? Think Again.
By DINITIA SMITH

Writers just want to be humiliated. Over and over again. That's the way it
seemed to Robin Robertson, a Scottish poet and editor who solicited authors'
reminiscences about their most humiliating moments for a book. The stories
poured in. Writers, some famous, seemed only too glad to share their
humiliations. The result, "Mortification: Writers' Stories of Their Public
Shame," published last month by Fourth Estate, is bound to ensure their
humiliations endure, on paper.
						--End--