Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Great pianists

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Mon Apr 12 16:47:04 PDT 2004

John:

Have you thought about the "as played by" route? When I was a kid, my most
cherished 78 rpm was Padereswki's Minuet in G as played by himself. I later
learned the Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor from a teacher who claimed to have
heard the great one actually perform it. You get the idea. There's no end to the
possibilities. Go into ragtime and do the Maple Leaf AS SCOTT JOPLIN WOULD
HAVE PLAYED IT. It doesn't matter that there are actual old rolls of him doing
it. They were made much later. Do it as he would have in the beginning. You get
the idea. Would love to hear what you do in this vein.

All the best

Dan (piano fingers) Spink