[Dixielandjazz] Hey There

Sam Meerkin/Evelyne Perks smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Tue Apr 13 02:19:12 PDT 2004

Welcome to the DJML Steve.  I just got back from my Easter break at the Surf
Coast to find your e-mail amongst the couple of hundred other ones I have to
negotiate.  It's thrilling that one so young in my own backyard is
interested in OKOM.(Our Kind Of Music.)  There is a large community of
people interestied in OKOM in our city of Melbourne and the Victorian Jazz
Club (of which I am a committee member) runs worshops for young musicians
who are proficient on an instrument and want to learn about playing
Dixieland music. You are very welcome to give me a call @ 9848 6298 & I will
be very pleased to put you in touch with the appropriate people who can
help.  As my old mate, Mick Potter has said, there is a very lively jazz
scene of world class young musicians playing regular gigs in Melb. and
you'll be made very welcome.  Age is irrelevant in our love of this
wonderful art form and there's a lot of advice and help available.  Just
call.  The Victorian Jazz club meets at the Airforces Club each Saturday
night at 7.30 - 11.00 pm, with a different band featured each week.
Enquiries; 9534 1173  My radio jazz program can be heard every Tues. on 96.5
FM 2.00 - 4.00 pm. here in Melbourne.
Best wishes,
Sam Meerkin.