[Dixielandjazz] Song title puns

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Fri Apr 9 21:52:15 PDT 2004

I can add a few none of you have probably ever heard of, as the language in
the Canal Street Jazz Band is Spanish, and they hear the titles of Dixieland
songs in a different manner than the English tuned ear:

What a Wonderful World = Wonderbra

Mood Indigo rhymes with "munigo" (with a sqriggly over then)...that means a
cow dropping

Dixieland One Step = Papa (as in the Pope, with equal stress on each
syllable).  That is taken from the first two notes of the song, which are
pa-pa.  We use that name to signify that it is not Fidgety Feet....which
name (when I say it) just makes everyone laugh, and the guys in the band
always get the two mixed up.  "Which is it?  Papa or the other one?"

We've got a few others, but I can't write them down here.  Ya just gotta be
in a band to enjoy the humor.

Jim