[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 9, Issue 52 Re: Black, B...

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 16:46:59 PDT 2003

In a message dated 9/30/03 11:40:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
s3856lpa at webtv.net writes:

> As far as your comment on Louis fooling the world in the name of
> showmanship vs.
> the intent of the song, I ask you to listen to Louis singing "Now, I am
> white deep down inside, but that don't help my case/"
> And, later, "I can' t hide  what is on my face."
>
> If Louis was just a clever entertainer, he sure could have fooled the
> hell out of me.
>
> Regards, Harold Smith

I would venture to say that Louis was all of the above, and clever enough to
express his inner feelings in a manner in music to make his statements about
his situations and conditions of the day.   He found a way to do this without
antagonizing his record label and his vast popularity in the White
entertainment market, saying what he wanted, without shooting himself in the foot or
biting the hand that was feeding him.

Many Black songwriters had to do the same thing, being very careful what they
said and where and to whom they said it, hence many of the double entendre
songs from them, leaving it to the listener to interpret it they way they wanted
it to be.  Some songs meant one thing to Black audience and something totally
different to a White one, often White audiences were listening to Black music
and missed the message in the songs altogether, being preoccupied with just
dancing and shakin' their booties and having a good time.

Many of my Black musicians and friends swear that (I am Black way down deep
inside too).

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins