[Dixielandjazz] Re: Green Mill

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 29 20:39:30 PDT 2003

Hi Don and everyone,

Thanks for reminding me about the Green Mill.  I visited once a few years
back but it was in the afternoon and it wasn't open (so I didn't get the
chance to catch a show or see the inside).  I also visited some other
Chicago jazz sites including the Aragon Ballroom.

I read somewhere, perhaps in Christiane Bird's book (which I was using as a
tourist guide at the time), that the entire block that the Green Mill is a
part of was once a giant entertainment complex in the 1920's with hanging
gardens and the works. I believe there is a story about a down and out
musician who was living in the club's basement and froze to death there.
Perhaps someone has some more details.  Certainly it's a wonderful historic
space.  Did your father ever play there??

All the best,
Rob McCallum