[Dixielandjazz] THE BLUES

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Sun Sep 28 11:58:33 PDT 2003

I'll bet good money that these shows don't mention the greatest blues singer
of all, Louis Armstrong.  Nor will they mention Jack Teagarden.

Delmark records in Chicago had a meeting once of it's Jazz and Blues
artists.  Delmark puts out a good line of  both Jazz and Blues recordings
and is regarded as a top smaller record label and one of the very top Blues
labels. I have some recordings out on this label and so I was at this
meeting.  Bob Koester, the owner, had this  idea of bringing Jazz and Blues
artists closer together.  There is absolutely no interaction between these
two groups of musicians.  At one point in the general discussion going on I
said, rather prominently, "Well, Louis Armstrong was the greatest blues
singer and player."  Whoa! That got the 'Blues' guys right up off of their
rather large asses.  Armstrong, a blues singer!  They wouldn't hear of it.

The fact is , though, that Louis was the greatest blues singer and player.
One listen to any blues he ever recorded should verify that.  Try his "Beale
St. blues" late at  night.

Jim Beebe