[Dixielandjazz] The "other" "Barrelhouse Jazz."

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 24 12:09:20 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rev M J (Mike) Logsdon"

> I read that Columbia, back in the early
> days of HI-FI, would often take two tape recorders into the back
> stairwell of its New York studio and re-record certain master tapes for
> "echo" effect.

This was - unfortunately - a fairly common practise in those days and, from
what I read on another ML, still happens today with some CD reissues of
pre-WW2 mono material. Columbia issued a CD back in the 1980s of the Benny
Goodman 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert ....... the echo/reverb effect was
diabolical !!

Back in the late 1970s/early 1980s the TelDec label (a collaboration of
Telefunken and Decca) re-issued (on LP) many of Milt Gabler's 1940s
Commodore label recordings in "electronic stereo". They were not consistant
in that some LPs were so "enhanced", some were not even though the label
indicated otherwise. The enhanced tracks gave me problems on my jazz
programme as, for the most part the channels were out of phase and not mono
compatible. Were we just an FM stereo only station this would not have
mattered too much, but we also radiated in low-fo mono AM which meant that
such enhanced material was unusable due to channel cancellation and other
undesirable effects.

Because this Commodore material was so important and demanded airplay I
spent many 'happy' hours in the production suite de-enhancing these
bastardised tracks as best I could so we could play them for the benefit of
both our FM, AM and telephone audience. Yes, we had a telephone audience ~
at least two as I recall. Both international telephone exchange operators.
One in Cork, Eire the other in Perth, Australia.

Unless one is a completist collector, or material is only available as back
stairwell/enhanced issues, the best place for them is a landfill site.

Why do record companies do this sort of thing ? Why, $$$$ of course.

~=~
 John,
        Suffolk, England.
                    ?