[Dixielandjazz] The "other" "Barrelhouse Jazz."

Rev M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 24 01:30:08 PDT 2003

Hey, there.  Just thought I'd share a recent "discovery."

Some time ago, maybe even here, I read that Columbia, back in the early
days of HI-FI, would often take two tape recorders into the back
stairwell of its New York studio and re-record certain master tapes for
"echo" effect.  Presumably, the intent was to "increase" the fidelity
(sic).

Recently, I've managed to obtain "EP" versions of each of Turk's first
four Columbia LPs, to complement my LP collection.  Little did I know,
but the EP version of the first, "Barrelhouse Jazz," was in fact
subjected to said "back stairwell" treatment!  I was listening to "Ace
in the Hole" when I simply had to exclaim, with volume, "Hey! This
simply ain't the same!"  A quick comparison with the original, and the
New York back stairwell materialised before my mind's eye!  I checked
the other EP-version albums, and "Barrelhouse" was the only one that was
so subjected.

What this means is, collectible-folk, is that, strictly speaking,
there's TWO entirely different issued "versions" of each take that went
into Turk's first Columbia LP.

Onward into the fog!......,
--
Etc,