[Dixielandjazz] Spelling - jazz related

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Tue Sep 16 11:02:23 PDT 2003

John Farrell says:-

  Dingo (have you bought another house yet?) explained that provided the
first
  and last letters of a word were spelled correctly, if the intervening
  letters appeared in the wrong order the meaning of the word would still
be
  understood.

  It reminded me of the time when I invited a professional big band
conductor
  to run some rehearsals of my big band. One of the things he told the
guys
  was that in ensemble passages provided that the various sections came in
and
  went out together on the correct note it wasn't too important what
happened
  in between.

I have heard it said more than once that timing is more important
than the notes played. In general the audience is much more
sensitive to things being out of time than out of tune.

In fact I have been at a gig (not playing) where there was an
argument between the front and back rows about the key of a song.
They ended up playing it in different keys simultaneously. Very
few of the audience noticed.

There is also an orchestra where everyone swaps instruments. Although
there are plenty of bum notes everything is in perfect time and sounds
remarkably good.

Andy Ling