[Dixielandjazz] -ize and -ise

Anton Crouch a.crouch at unsw.edu.au
Sun Sep 14 17:50:49 PDT 2003

Hello PatL and BillH

Many an argument about American/English spellings and words ends with the
Anglophiliacs reeling back in surprised horror. Yes, -ize is the old
English (and American) and -ise is the new-fangled French.

Just think of it - that bastard William thumped the Anglo-Saxons in 1066
and we still haven't returned to English spellings and words. Who would eat
beef in autumn when we can enjoy ox in fall?

Salve!
Antonius Crux

PS, Bill: There is now a 3rd edition of Fowler (1996), with the same
comments about -ize and -ise.