[Dixielandjazz] Mostly Self Taught Musicians

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 13 15:53:57 PDT 2003

Yeah, I do agree with everything you say. I will never forget the words of a
self taught tubist here in the East. Norman Burbank, who is an excellent
player. He was regretting that he never played a Festival out West in the USA.
Said Norm: "I just want to do one so everybody who hears me says, 'wow, Who the
hell is that fat kid (50 years old) on tuba?'" (He is over 300 lbs)

He meant it without a touch of ego because is is a monster player. Also, in
talking to his son, age 21,  who had just graduated from West Chester
University School of music, studying theory, trombone and tuba, this exchange.

Son: "Hey dad, how come with all my musical education I can't come close to you
as a tuba player.?"

Norm: "Well, we're separated by about 10,000 gigs and that's where you really
learn how to play."

Nailed it as I see it. ;-)

Cheers,
Steve