[Dixielandjazz] Mostly Self Taught Musicians

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sat Sep 13 11:26:13 PDT 2003

Steve;

Your statistics were certainly informative and while it behooves someone who
wants to go into music to immerse themselves in lots of study, how they get
that study done is an individual decision and depends upon the goals and
personality of that individual.

There are those who can get by some rudimentary beginning with someone who
knows how to finger an instrument and take it from there to become first
rate by immersing themselves in the business of making music. And, as you
have stated, by asking others how such and such can be done and by taking a
lesson here and there. Certainly a method which lends itself to those short
on funds.

Others can do it all by going to a succession of more and more advanced
private teachers and schools - the expensive way.

The rest get the training using some combination of the two extremes above.

For most musicians whom I've know, training is an on-going business with
constant practice of those techniques and abilities which are difficult.
This is what reedman Benny Waters said at age 90 - he still practiced but it
was on what was hard for him to play.

So, really we're back to what you mean by the term "a trained musician".
Does it pertain to the capabilities of the musician? or merely to where
he/she learned the craft of making music? or the amount of time which was
spent with formal teachers?

Yet, the one thing which musicians must all have in common is the love, the
will, and the talent to make music.

Stan
Stan Brager