[Dixielandjazz] More Quibbling, nit-picking and hair-splitting!

Jim Marsh jimbanjo at telus.net
Sat Sep 13 10:44:02 PDT 2003

Hi All,

	Bill Haesler said in part:

>Dear Brian,
>Regarding: >Small quibble: it's "You tell me your DREAM
>(singular).< However, it appears on the following New Orleans
>records (Luis's forte) as follows: Tell Me Your Dreams.
>Bunk's Brass Band (American Music.1945). You Tell Me Your
>Dream. Eureka Brass Band (Folkways. 1951)

	. . . etc, etc.   The cover of my copy of the original sheet music is
entitled "You Tell Me Your Dream I'll Tell You Mine".  It is copyrighted in
1928 by Villa Moret  Inc., San Francisco.  On the first page of the music
itself, the title is shown as "You Tell Me Your Dream"  and below that in
smaller typeface and parentheses  "I'll Tell You Mine".   It is also written
as a waltz rather than the 4/4 that bands play the tune in today.  Many of
what I consider to be the best tunes in the OKOM genre were originally written
as waltzes.

Cheers,

Jim Marsh
Grand Dominion Jazz Band