[Dixielandjazz] Mostly Self Taught Musicians

David Palmquist davidpalmquist at dccnet.com
Fri Sep 12 23:32:20 PDT 2003

You're reaching a bit, Steve, when you write that "Today a "trained"
musician usually means a stint, at Julliard, Berklee or a degree in music
from a University, or years of lessons from a big name."

There are tens of thousands of private music teachers in North America,
many making a decent living.  You don't have to have years of lessons from
a "big name" to be trained.  It's sufficient to have taken lessons from
someone who is a competent music teacher.

It seems pretty clear that Red was trained, at least before age 15.  Don
knew the man well, it seems, so he's in a better positon than either you or
me to provide information rather than assumptions.  And 15 year olds can be
phenomenal on their instruments.

David in Delta