[Dixielandjazz] Keith Clark, Our Friend

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Fri Sep 12 15:09:55 PDT 2003

This is to inform listmates that our clarinetist, Keith M. Clark, has passed
away after a 4 month (known) battle with cancer.  He was enthusiastic about
the future right to the end and kept his chops in shape for a return to the
band.  Keith was also a 44 year member of  S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A  (Barbershoppers) and
was in two national prize winning quartets over the years.  I had talked with
Keith about his early musical years and he reflected on his early 1950's days
out of high school playing up and down the east coast of Lake Michigan.  Many
of his musical comrades went on to nationally known touring bands, but he
turned down the opportunity to raise a family.

Keith moved to New York State, initially in Syracuse, in the 1960's and later
to Rochester, and played a duo/trio with his pianist friend, Al Saia, since
the 1970's.  He started with the Smugtown Stompers in 2001 and added an
enthusiastic dimension to our presentation with clarinet, soprano sax, and vocals.
We will sorely miss him and I would appreciate any personal remembrances to be
sent to me offline so I can pass them on to his wife, Joan.

Bud Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Rochester, NY
Traditional Jazz since 1958