[Dixielandjazz] Mostly Self Taught Musicians

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Fri Sep 12 18:32:54 PDT 2003

I don't know about the other musicians you named, Steve, but Benny Goodman
doesn't belong on the list.

He began studying at a local synagogue where he was given his first
clarinet. When the synagogue stopped giving lessons, Benny's father sent
Benny and his older brothers to Hull House for additional lessons. While
still a teen, Benny took lessons for 2 years with Franz Schoep who taught at
the Chicago Conservatory of Music (among Schoep's pupils at the same time
were Jimmie Noone and Buster Bailey). Other teachers followed from time to
time. One of more notable teachers (and a nod to our British listers) was
clarinetist Reginald Kell.

Throughout Benny's career, he sought out teachers who could improve his
playing.

Stan
Stan Brager