[Dixielandjazz] Mostly Self Taught Musicians

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 12 14:35:31 PDT 2003

In an off list conversation with Warren Vache Sr, (One of the great jazz
players who knows more about the music than most of us) he suggested
that my short list of mostly self taught jazz musicians was "too short".
He is right and I bow to his wisdom. Said the maestro:

"I  think  your "short  list"  is a bit too  short.   How  about Jack
Teagarden,  Red Nichols, Frank Trumbauer,  Benny  Goodman,   Bobby
Hackett,  Bud Freeman---and a  few  hundred  others?"

By the way, Vache Sr. leads the "Syncopatin Seven" jazz band which is
excellent. How many of us have bought his CDs? Do it now as the band is
great and he is a giant of a player who should be recognized as a
"National Treasure."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Yes, he is that old and he is the father of Warren Vache Jr, and
Allan Vache.