[Dixielandjazz] Spam Filters

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Thu Sep 11 10:15:35 PDT 2003

My ISP, AT&T Worldnet, has it's own spam filter that seems to work quite
well.  You have the options of:  1) not using it.  2) having the
screened messages put in a separate directory for your perusal 3) having
the screened messages deleted.  Also there is a button on the Worldnet
home page that takes you directly to your mailbox on their server so you
can see what you have before downloading them to your own machine.  Here
you can delete those that you don't want before they even get into your
hard drive.  Now they have a new wrinkle where you can mark any
suspected spam that gets through (about 10%) and "report it as spam"
which deletes it and adds the sender or message to their filter
criteria.  I periodically have temporarily put the screened  messages in
the separate folder and have never found one that I would have wanted to
see.  Ordinarily I just have the screened messages deleted.

I would think some of the other bigger competing ISP's (Earthlink, etc.)
offer a similar system.  I don't know about AOL,  It appears to me that
they are off in their own world.  Worldnet costs me $17/mo (US$) for dial-up

Don Robertson
Napa, CA  -- lurker