[Dixielandjazz] RE: Nicholas Payton

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 06:47:26 PDT 2003

I think you may be missing something in regard to New Orleans musicians in
general, not just the trumpeters. The Jazz Museum there holds many musicians'
business cards. Hardly any of them mention jazz: most refer to "music for all
occasions". Buddy Bolden might have been said to have been at the cutting edge
stylistically back then, yet he is known to have played for church parties and
confirmations. Music for all occasions. As a frequent visitor to New Orleans I
have seen and heard Nicholas Payton on many occasions, playing how he feels
and how he perceives his audience. And I would enter a caveat about Louis
Armstrong. Sure, he is known all over the world, but not as a trumpet player. Only
recently I heard someone exclaim that they never knew he played an instrument,
they thought he was "just" a vocalist!
Brian Wood