[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Loy and axes

willc willc at nova.edu
Sun Sep 7 17:57:32 PDT 2003

Three or four years ago Tommy and I chatted a lot on the net and this
led to our swapping my Bach Strad flugel for a Bach Strad cornet he had.
I hated that goddam Bach almost more than I hated a
solid silver King I once owned and eventually gave to a classical player
who loved it. My first ever horn at 8 or 9 was a Conn, followed by a
(argh-h-h!) Pan American followed by a Conn Cuprion that I swapped for
an Olds Recording model that I played for 20 years (and had rebuilt
several times at the Olds factory in nearby Fullerton). Then I got an
Olds student model Ambassador cornet, and I've never liked a horn
better. Given the caliber (.22) of my playing these days, with arthritic
fingers (and maybe lips), it's perhaps an appropriate horn.
Kindly,
Will Connelly
River Liffey Saloon Jazz Band
Fort Lauderdale, Florida