[Dixielandjazz] Who is that masked child?

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 7 09:40:34 PDT 2003

Dear YOUNG Tom,

You snipped Audrey's post and in so doing cut the clue she gave.

"Christy Brothers Circus showed here Sept. 5 with a good outfit and a good
band. A feature to me of the whole show was Master James, 13-year-old son
of the director. This boy played first chair trumpet with ease and
accuracy."

Now, I wasn't around in 1929 either nor 1939 come to that, but the mention
of "Circus" and "James" is a dead give-away. It just has to be Harry Haag*
James. The middle name I believe being given to him as a result of his
Dad's time with another circus outfit, possibly the one he was with when
his son was born.

*Some references give Hagg

Jimmy Dorsey was a good guess but by '29 he was already a pro of 25 working
with the likes of Red Nichols, Venuti & Lang (on trumpet) et al.

File under : Useless information #47J

Cheers,

~=~
Old John ;-))