[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Club Broadcasts

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Thu Oct 30 22:35:49 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Thurmond" <gmthur at delrio.com>

>         A million kudos to you Rebecca for posting the link to the old
NOJC
> broadcasts on WWL.  I just finished listening to a couple of them and it
> sure brought back memories of those Sunday nites back in the '50s when I'd
> let nothing interfere with that hour when we first got the 30 minutes jazz
> from the Parisian Room on Royal (Tony Almerico and the boys, with Dick
> Martin and his wonderful voice MCing), and then on would come the Club's
> theme of "Congo Square" by Johnny Wiggs band.  I'd even make notes in the
> margins  in my "New Hot Jazz Discography" book by Charles Delaunay of the
> records being played.  These two programs probably did more to cultivate
my
> interest in jazz than any factor, other than my trips back then to NO to
> hear the real stuff first hand.
>
>         These programs show me that there are no jazz musicians like those
> from NO who played and recorded back in the 50s and 60s.

I agree completely.  I lived for those shows and picked them up way up in
wisconsin.  Tony Almerico has never gotten the recognition that he deserves
as a major New Orleans jazz artist. He played an exciting trumpet and his
band alwasy swung like mad.  The record show that followed was a perfect
compliment to Almerico's live performance.

Jim Beebe