[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen again

Brian Towers briantowers at msn.com
Thu Oct 30 19:48:46 PST 2003

> >  Now thqat I have heard him, I just don"t know what to say.
>
> That's not fair.  I'm sure many of us have wondered how Allen plays.  I've
> heard him called, "a gifted amateur", which sounds like damning with faint
> praise to me.
>
> Is he any good or not?
> Bill Biffle
> Albuquerque, NM

Woody Allen plays with lots of soul plus good rhythm and with modesty.
These are very important ingredients for me and the amateurs can sometimes
do it better than the pro's (Where's Eddie Carson?)
I like what Woody is trying to do, which is based on the New Orleans revival
style initiated by Bunk and George Lewis, with some Johnny Dodds etc.  I
would rather listen to Woody than to many of the professional technical
wizards on the scene today.

Not everybody's cup of tea, however.

Brian Towers,
Canada