[Dixielandjazz] Pee Wee Hunt question

Mr Don McDonald donjmacd at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 30 19:18:48 PST 2003

Hi from Australia (down under for USA residents!),

        To answer your question about Pee Wee Hunt CDs, one disc was released by EMI Records on its cheaper Axis label here in Australia - about 12 or so years ago from memory. It comprises 24 tracks taken from recordings published by Capitol Records in 1952 and 1954.

        I have the CD, which is titled "Straight From Dixie", and features a nice photo of Hunt with his fancy waist coat and his trombone. Sheet music is a feature in the background of the photo. The disc catalog number is Axis 7017762. I believe the disc may only have been released in Australia, but I don't know for sure about this. I don't think it is available at this point of time.

        The contents of the disc are as follows:

Twelfth Street Rag, Clarinet Marmalade, Wabash Blues, Bessie Couldn't Help It, Sugar Foot Stomp, Fourth Man Rag, Dill Pickles, Tiger Rag, High Society, Charleston, Snag It, The Darktown Strutters' Ball, Peg O' My Heart, Somebody Stole My Gal, Easy Melody, Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone, Oh!, Meet Me Tonight At Milton's, Ida! Sweet As Apple Cider, The Varsity Drag, Spain, Swingin' Around, So Blue, Mama's Gone, Good Bye.

Musically, for my taste, the first 12 selections are the best. The final 12 selections have a consistent "Oh!" type of arrangement sound about them.

Technically speaking, the sound is fine - typical of Capitol's best in that era. The EMI Australia transfer is fine.

Hope this adds to any other replies you may have on the question concerned.

                                                                                                    Don McDonald