[Dixielandjazz] Pete Smythe

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 30 11:55:35 PST 2003

Nope.  Different spelling and pronunciation.  But,  speaking of Pete Smith
Specialties they are sometimes shown on Turner Movie Classics or Fox Movie
Channel.

This from the seb site Jitterbuzz.com:

In the 1930s, MGM was forced to create a lot of material to fill the
programs of its vast empire of movie houses. At that time, an evening at the
movies included two features, interspersed with various "short subjects"
which included newsreels, travelogues, cartoons, documentaries, and other
items. One of the most successful producers of shorts was a man named Pete
Smith who had a quirky, nasal voice. His shorts were almost surrealistic,
featuring a wide variety of experts (archers, bowlers, horsehoe pitchers,
etc) doing seemingly impossible tricks. Instead of being a diversion, the
Pete Smith Specialties came to be major attractions. People would come to
see a picture that was a real stinker if the marquee said "New Pete Smith
Short"

In 1942, Smith took on Jitterbug in a film short called Groovie Movie, a
comical look at the world of Swing dancing, starring Jean Veloz, Arthur
Walsh, Chuck Saggau, and Irene Thomas. The 9 minute film spoofs both dance
instruction and efforts to find high culture in jitterbug. Taking on the
Arthur Murray visual techniques, Jean and Arthur appear in uniforms that are
half black and half white with foot- and hand-prints to show proper
position. An animated sequence of footprints begins logically and soon
becomes a hopelessly complictaed mess. Through the parody and comedy,
Groovie Movie shows some of the finest examples of the Hollywood Style of
Lindy Hop that have ever been filmed. Today, Swing dancers continue to mine
this cult film for dance moves and techniques.

Best,

Bill