[Dixielandjazz] The numbers game

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Wed Oct 29 16:08:52 PST 2003

A number of listmates have sent in examples of challenging starts, such
as
2  -  4   or 2 - 4 - 7.

Actually, because a sng is in, say, F, the "2"  would apply technically,
and would be melodicly dissononant against a tonic chord.  However, the
song "Stranger In Paradise", in F, would have as its first chord a
Gminor 7th, and the 2nd step (G) would be applied as a perfectly fitting
note against that chord, and would be the root note of same.

I know I am running the rlisk of being called a "egocentric, verbose
moron" by one of our ardent posters, but I gotta call 'em as I sees 'em.

Nameless in Beloit.