[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jim Hawthorne

Burt Wilson futurecon at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 27 22:29:51 PST 2003

Al  "Jazzbo" Collins started out at KSL in Salt Lake City and gained fame
by playing Art Mooney's "I'm Looking over a Four Leaf Clover" for 24-hrs
straight. Then he said, "There, that ought to hold 'em." He then, if memory
serves me right, went to KSFO in San Francisco where he held down the 9 am
to noon slot. His closing theme was Basie's "Blues in Hoss Flat" and he
would back-time it so as soon as it ended the Noon Beep would play. Then he
went to KLAC in Los Angeles where I knew him as I did a weekly PS show
there. He would dress in orange jumpsuits. His thing there was "The
majuberious Orange Seed" which had some kind of metaphysical meaning.
KLAC's lineup also included Joe Pine, the father of right-wing talk radio
and Mort Sahl who was a good foil. Then he Jazzbo went to NYC where he had
"The Purple Grotto," a theme he stuck with until his death a few years ago.
What a talent! An original. I still have the little orange sticker he gave
out with the famous saying of Pedro Armendariz (I think) "I don't got to
show you no stinkin' badges." (From "Treasure of the Sierra Madre")Only it
was in Spanish. Do any of you have his Capitol records?   ...Hello friends,
this is your uncle jazzbo with another...

Burt Wilson