[Dixielandjazz] NewThread: N u m b e r s G a m e

Don Kirkman donkirk at covad.net
Mon Oct 27 12:02:42 PST 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:36:26 -0500, Don Ingle wrote:

>Evenearlier, Jim, when Allen did a midnight on radio show with live audience
>on KNX in the late 40's, before TV.
>Our high school aged jazz band would play a gig and be in our cars onthe way
>back from the job and would roar and howl at the great Allen quips and gags.
>The other late hour listen was Jim Harthorne's show out of Pasadena -- or

True Name Hawthorne, IIRC, but he or others always called it Hartorne.

>PasaHogen as his later ego Skippy would say. But then, here I go, dating
>myself again.

>By the way our little band had some pretty good players -- Gene Estes on
>drums, Perry "Bunny" Botkin on trombone, Mel Pollen on bass, John Bambridge,
>clarinet and sax, and John "Curly" Williams on piano (..yeah, THAT John
>Williams.) My handle at the time -- Ding.

My first taste of Pea Pickin' Tennesee Ernie Ford was also on Hartorne's
show, which I heard in my room at Berkeley thanks to long range
reception on winter nights.  (I also got the LA police radio calls on
the same broadcast band radio.)

We've lost some great ones, haven't we?
--
Don