[Dixielandjazz] Cleaning Hits-of-the-Week?

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Mon Oct 27 14:17:43 PST 2003

In a message dated 10/26/03 5:40:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mjl at ix.netcom.com writes:

> But only when they're still pristine.  When wear is present, even if
> they're not visible there is still the occasional crack in the surface
> to be concerned about, especially as beneath that crack is nothing more
> than absorbent cardstock.  The last thing I want is to ruin them with
> moisture.  I'd rather play them dirty than risk ruining them,

You'd be amazed as to how clean they will sound when wiped with WD40.  I use
this on all my 78's and play them at 45 RPM, save the WAV file with CoolEdit
and then resample them at 45/78 ratio to switch them back to 78 RPM.  I have
seen no deterioration of them after coating them with WD-40.
Bud Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Rochester, NY
Traditional Jazz since 1958