[Dixielandjazz] Hoyt(e) D. Kline & Johnny Dodds

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Mon Oct 27 10:39:19 PST 2003

Is there anyone on the list who knew, or knows of, Hoyt D. Kline? All I know
is the following: Next time you play AMCD-6 offer up a prayer for the
righteous soul of Hoyt Kline. He was a record collector who was known to Bunk Johnson;
Bunk having sent Hoyt a message via Mary Karoley. Hoyt Kline had a pact with
Bill Russell that whoever died first would leave his record collection to the
survivor. Poor Hoyt was killed on military duty by a mine in Italy, ironically
several weeks after the war had ended. His widow honoured Hoyt's wishes and
Bill got his valuable collection. But Bill, being Bill, sold most of the
collection and divided the money between Hoyt's wife and his project to record
Bunk's Brass Band and the session was dedicated to the memory of Hoyt D. Kline.
That is some memorial. Worth a minute's silent contemplation I would say. Just
recently I spotted in an old issue of the 78 Quarterly volume 1 number 10 a
reference to Hoyt in an article by Bernard Klatzko on Johnny Dodds. It seems that
in March 1939 when Johnny was down on his luck and playing an old clarinet
that was falling apart, Hoyte (their spelling)  gave him a new clarinet - half
Albert - half Boehm - that is pictured in the article alongside a letter of
thanks from Dodds that is now in the Williams Research Center, New Orleans.
- All this new information seems to support the view that Mr. Kline was a
regular sort of guy we should remember with pride and affection.
Brian Wood