[Dixielandjazz] Re: Flatted fifths

Bill Biffle bbiffle at swcp.com
Sat Oct 25 12:17:54 PDT 2003

John Farrell wrote:
For instance, if I wanted to change from an F chord to a Bb chord I might
use B
natural (the flatted 5th) as the bass note with an F+ chord in the right -
the whole thing would appear on a fake sheet as F+/B.

Change the A in the F+5 chord to Ab and you've played a classical bVI7 chord
(Db7 in this ex.) resolving to I.