[Dixielandjazz] Re: Flatted fifths

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Sat Oct 25 19:05:51 PDT 2003

I use the flatted 5th now and again as a one-beat passing chord when
modulating but always put it in the left hand with a +5 in the right. For
instance, if I wanted to change from an F chord to a Bb chord I might use B
natural (the flatted 5th) as the bass note with an F+ chord in the right -
the whole thing would appear on a fake sheet as F+/B.

Charlie is so right about creating a feeling of tension and release, it is
one of the most important building blocks of jazz.

Don is also bang on target when he suggests that the flatted 5th is now
commonplace in the jazz pantheon and is no longer a niche progression
belonging
exclusively to modernists.

John Farrell