[Dixielandjazz] flatted fifths

Trumpetom at aol.com Trumpetom at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 21:13:17 PDT 2003

McCallum sez: <<Okay, why are so many people simply against flatted
fifths?????  Is it that they have come to represent something different, or do people
just hate the
way the interval sounds?  Are there any traditionalists that regularly
utilize flatted fifths or are they simply considered wrong notes to be
avoided at all costs??

Inquiring minds want to know!>>

Love the topic. Big bands I play in sometimes use Jack Mason stock
arrangements. The page two shout chorus is usually an ordeal: ugly sounding, trite
syncopations, no rests, too many notes. Often they end on a tonic chord with a
FLATTED FIFTH! (sometimes with an added 6th for good measure). Kinda like ending a
bad date by receiving a nasty bad breath good night kiss. Anybody out there
who likes flatted fifths can feel free to hang on to them for their own use. My
opinion only. Mason was good enough to make money writing charts; I'm not. I
must be wrong. I don't care for Rod Stewart either.

Tom Loeb
California
<A HREF="www.hotsytotsyboys.com">www.hotsytotsyboys.com</A>