[Dixielandjazz] Re: Keys, - flatted fifths

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 20:55:34 PDT 2003

In a message dated 10/24/03 2:25:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rakmccallum at hotmail.com writes:

> Hello all,
>
> Okay, why are so many people simply against flatted fifths?????  Is it that
> they have come to represent something different, or do people just hate the
> way the interval sounds?  Are there any traditionalists that regularly
> utilize flatted fifths or are they simply considered wrong notes to be
> avoided at all costs??
>
> Inquiring minds want to know!
>
> All the best,
> Rob McCallum

Well, Rob:

Being a drummer and therefore not a real musician I am not qualified to
answer that astute question, however I would assume it has something to do with
crushing a container that contained a fifth of Jack Daniels or Single Malt or
perhaps even Gin.  I believe this custom was actually invented by jazz horn
players 70 or 80 years ago, shortly after the invention of Jazz.  Rumor has it that
without a few crushed fifths lying around the club there probably was not
very much good jazz being played there.

It is much easier to day to flatten the fifths since they are now available
in plastic bottles in some states for bar room safety purposes, they don't
injure musicians when thrown at them, at least if they are empty, and who in his
right mind would throw a full one?
Cheers,

Tom Wiggins