[Dixielandjazz] Re: Trombone Keys

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 18:50:30 PDT 2003

> s3856lpa at webtv.net Harold Smith wrote (polite snip)
> .
> Don't play the bone, but I do know that Teagarden played his 4/4 version
> of "Lover" in Db, and Bob Havens does that tune in the same key.
>
> Also read that T. Dorsey played his "Gettin' Sentimental" theme in the
> key of D-natural.  I had always heard the trombonists do not relish
> playing in keys with sharps.

Depends on the trombonist I think. Our guy, Glenn Dodson, 50 years of classical
excellence with jazz as a sideline until 10 years ago, plays any song in any key. Love
his "Stardust" in Db, or "Gettin Sentimental" in D natural, or any song our guitarist
wants to teach him in any of the sharp keys.

Of course, his last classical gig was "Principal Trombone" with the Philadelphia
Symphony Orchestra which lasted 28 years before he retired 8 years ago. I think he was
recognized internationally as one of the 4 finest classical trombonists in the world for
several decades. He graduated from Curtis Institute of Music about 50 years ago and also
taught there in his later years. And to top it off, he has great ears.

In any event, he is extraordinary. Reads impeccably from any clef, also plays bass
trumpet, has a huge sound, etc., etc., etc. It is a wonderful experience to gig with
him.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. He also tells some great stories about Maestro Eugene Ormandy's horrific dislike of
Jazz and Jazz musicians calling them "lowlifes" and the "dregs of the musical world"
etc. When he hired Glenn, he knew that Glenn had moonlighted with Hirt and Fountain et
al while he was with the New Orleans Symphony in the late 50s, early sixties, to make
extra money because the NOS did not pay very well.