[Dixielandjazz] Who Is Doctor Jazz?

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Thu Oct 23 14:40:28 PDT 2003

In a message dated 10/23/03 2:05:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jazzfact at ozemail.com.au writes:

> Dr Jazz. I know of a few real Doctors who have assumed the
> persona and called themselves Dr Jazz. Was our original Doctor a dealer or
> is it just about the music? I

As I hear the song, I see the analogy between the exhilaration of music and
the high of drugs.  The suggestion is that deliverers of jazz music and
deliverers of drugs requires you to know who can deliver the goods.  Double entendre.
 Of course, jazz musicians have often been involved with the drug culture
over the years (this was discussed extensively on DJML about a year ago) and
musicians like the play on words.

Hello Central give me Dr. Jazz,
He's got what I need, I say he has.
When the world's goes down, and I got those blues
He's the man that makes me get out both my dancing shoes.
The more I get, the more I want it seems
I page old Dr. Jazz in my dreams
Like trouble piled and mixed,
He's the guy gets me fixed.
Hello Central give me Dr. Jazz.