[Dixielandjazz] Re: More on Muggsy SPANIER

Burt Wilson futurecon at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 22 23:08:55 PDT 2003

Dear Friends--

For those of you who feast on little-known historical facts, let me add
one. Sacramento's first jazz extravaganza was a Dixieland Jamboree which
was held in the Memorial Auditorium on May 10,1959. It was put on by Jim
Allen, who has since dropped from sight. Only about 300 people showed up.

The headliners were Muggsy Spanier, 52 at the time, and Darnell Howard, 67.
They were joined by Squire Gersh's All Stars featuring Burt Bales and
Claire Austin. Two other bands were featured: Jim Leigh's El Dorado Jazz
Band from San Jose (with Carol Leigh, of course) and Phil Howe's Jazz Band
(mostly the Silver Dollar Jazz Band led by Phil) with myself on trombone. I
was fresh out of the army.

I want to tell you it was one rockin' night. Muggsy was great and Darnell's
big tone cut through everything.

Interestingly enough, the review of the event published in the Sacramento
Bee the next day (and reproduced in my book "A History of Sacramento Jazz")
related how one jazzman in particular stampeded the audience. Who else but
Don Palta ("The Flying Dutchman") who played banjo in our band and 40 years
later was named "King of the Banjo."

I'll never forget that evening.

Burt Wilson
Silver Dollar Jazz Band