[Dixielandjazz] Count Basie

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 21 16:53:51 PDT 2003

Not sure about when Basie's Big Band was re-formed after 1950, but do
know that I saw it numerous times during the 1950s at Birdland in NYC.
(after 1954). Remember one night when Sarah Vaughn was in the audience,
sitting at the next table with Mel Ferrer and Audrey Hepburn who were an
item at the time. Joe Williams asked her to come up and sing a duet. She
did, but having had a lot to drink she came in about 2 keys off.
Williams laughed, grabbed her by the butt, and they all broke up.
Started the song again, this time right on.

I reminded Basie about this magical night at some 20 odd years later in
the 1970s when I saw him performing at the Opera House in Lancaster PA.
I said something like: "Bill I saw you a few times at Birdland in the
50s during the week between Christmas and New Year's." (a week always
set aside for him). He said:" Yeah man, those were great days.' I asked:
"Do you remember the night Sassy was there with Mel Ferrer and Audrey
Hepburn, Joe asked her to sing and she came in way off key?" He said "
Sure I do", Steve "Do you remember the song she and Joe sang?"

For the life of me I couldn't remember. His eyes twinkled and he said:
"It was Teach Me Tonight". And so it was.

Also remember a night Buddy Rich sat in and did not swing that much.
Said Rich to Freddie Green as he got off the stand: "Man, I don't belong
in this band." Green just smiled.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone