[Dixielandjazz] Re: Grover Mitchell and the Count Basie Orchestra - a review

Dan Aldag dja1 at humboldt.edu
Tue Oct 21 12:01:05 PDT 2003

The version of this story that I've heard is that Basie went to a small
group (6-9 pieces) in 1950. Basie didn't hire Green, but he showed up anyway
the first night the new band played. When Basie asked him what he was doing
there, Green replied something like, "You're playing tonight, right?" Basie
shrugged and added Green to the payroll. I believe Basie reformed the big
band in '52.

Ellington connection: Clark Terry played in that Basie small group.

All the best,

Dan
--
Dan Aldag, Visiting Assistant Professor
Dept. of Music, Humboldt State University