[Dixielandjazz] "In the Morn and Liquid Dew of Youth..."

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Oct 21 10:43:58 PDT 2003

Well, Dan, as did Rosie, you are pasing the torch, somethng that Rosie was
so dedicated to doing.
I was given so much help and encouragement myself from so many players from
that golden age of traditional jazz and big band music, and have tried to
pay it back by working with younger players, though I admit here in North
Michigan they are few and far between. Had a good and willing torch catcher
in Dave Jellema, who caught the Bix fever early. Tom Pletcher and I worked
with him when he was a teen -- Tom in Bixian ideas, and I in passing on the
breath and lip control exercizes that I had recveived from Red Nichols.
Matty Matlock mentored and tutored me in arranging, and Nichols took it a
step farther and hired me to write charts for him.  And of course Rosie gave
me this wonderful infection called "Digging out the Oldies!" His interest in
making young players aware of more than the usual Muskrat Ramble, Saints,
Jazz Band Ball play list  might be one of his best lessons of all when he
passed them on.
So I am delighted to hear that you are givig this young man an opportunity
to progress.
I still remember sitting in with Rosie at the old Sterling's
in Santa Monica and meeting a very young and eager Dan Levenson two decades
ago. You have come a long way, Dan, and I am sure that somewhere Rosis is
very proud of you. I can almost hear him and Red, his old Weems band mate
saying..."you know, that kid is not too bad."
Keep the faith -- from one of the oldest "Sons of Rosie"
around. After all, and you know the story, if it hadn't been for Rosie
subbing for my dad the night I was born, I might not have been born. As he
often kidded me -- "no way Eddie was going to have the baby unless Red was
there." That baby is now 72.
Don Ingle

essage -----