[Dixielandjazz] Re: Taping

WILLIAM HORTON WILLIAMHORTON at peoplepc.com
Sun Oct 19 00:42:53 PDT 2003

I agree with Ken Gates that a lap recording at a club session has a certain
charm lacking in a commercially-recorded CD or cassette.  Obviously, the
quality isn't there, but the background audience reaction more than makes up
for it.  It's sort of like "being there."

Many years ago, I used to sit in the front row at our Basin Street Regulars
monthly concerts, recording with my little Sony.  Friend Ben "Wee Wee"
Russell had a subtle way of disapproving of this practice.  He'd come up and
sit beside me and, in a booming voice, say something like "Hey Bill, how the
hell are ya!  Great band, isn't it?" and go on and on, aiming his voice at
my tiny microphone.  After it happening a few times, when I'd see him
approaching I'd just switch off.  Ben's long gone now, but I get a kick
hearing his voice and remembering him whenever I slug one of those ancient
tapes into the player in my old RX-7.

Message received, old buddy-- loud and clear.  Especially LOUD!

Bill Horton