[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Turk

Dave Hanson jazzdude at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 18 18:54:09 PDT 2003

I may have started the Tommy Turk thread by asking Jim Beebe about him. Jim was very prompt and cordial in his reply and I thank him for that. He mentioned hearing Turk in LV and was knocked out by his playing, specifically his high energy and drive.

I have a CD supplied by a friend which was recorded in a Pittsburg club circa '48-'49. The only players listed besides Turk are Ray Crummie, on a very out of tune piano and Jon Walton on tenor sax. Turk is absolutely extraordinary, even with the poor fidelity.

The tunes are:

Pennies From Heaven
Ail Mail Special
Bernie's Tune
Hindustan
Love For Sale
I'm Beginning To See The Light
The Way You Look Tonight
Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Bridge Of Opundiaterlatory
Long John
Blue
Unknown Riff ??

Not exactly OKUM, but important stuff and probably never was issued anywhere.
I might be able to make a few copies for those that have an interest.

Dave Hanson
Trombone
Atlanta