[Dixielandjazz] TOMMY TURK

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 18 18:36:31 PDT 2003

Hi Jim

Or you might try and find this one. Turk is heard on the first 4 tracks.
Looks like an eclectic mix of modern jazz and OKOM. The 4 cuts that Turk
is on is an interesting band. (Turk, Rosolino, Phillips, Brown, Rich) No
chord instrument, or did they leave someone out? I don't know as I never
heard it. So many records, so little time. :-) VBG.

Turk was, as you say, a monster player and almost completely overlooked.

Cheers,
Steve

AN EVENING OF JAZZ

        SONNY CRISS

        TOMMY TURK

            THE SIX

   (VERVE, POCJ-2600)

1. The Beat 2. By By Blues 3. Encore 4. Two By Four 5. The First One 6.
Colidad-Calidad  7. Blues For The Boppers  8. Tornado
9. Take Six 10. In A Blue Fun 11. St.James Infirmary 12. A Foggy Day 13.
Little Girl Blue 14. Riverboat Shuffle 15. Music To Sin By 16. Between
The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea

 #5,6,7,8 :
 SONNY CRISS, as, HAMPTON HAWES, p IGGY SHEVACK, b CHUCK TOMPSON, ds
Recorded 1949

#1,2,3,4 : TOMMY TURK, tb FRANK ROSOLINO, tb FLIP PHILLIPS, ts RAY
BROWN, b  BUDDY RICH, ds Recorded 1949

#9-16 : THE SIX JOHNNY GLASEL, tp PORKY COHEN, tb  BOB WILBER, cl TOMMY
GODMAN, p BOB PETERSON, b
EDDIE PHYFE, ds Recorded1949